CALGARY, AB: With the call of the Manitoba provincial election, the Wheat Growers Association asked each of the registered parties seven questions that we thought would be of interest to our members and specifically prairie grain farmers.
On September 11, 2023 the following questions were sent to each party. As of September 26, 2023, we heard back from three parties. When other parties submit their answers, we will update the survey.
The policy questions are:
- What is your party’s position on free and competitive markets in international trade, including the elimination of export subsidies, reduction of trade-distorting domestic support, and reducing tariffs and non-tariff barriers that inhibit market access?
- What is your party’s position on the grain transportation system and the ability to move grain to export market in an accountable and efficient manner, considering possible future overcrowding on the rail system?
- What is your party’s position on the development of agricultural innovations that make farmers more profitable and sustainable, with a science-based regulatory approval process for the introduction of new technologies, including the adoption of genetically modified crops?
- What is your party’s position on a carbon pricing system, including on a credit and debit system that acknowledges the significant carbon reductions being achieved by prairie grain growers through farming techniques and sequestering?
- As the next provincial government, what would your top priorities be for farmers and the agriculture industry in Manitoba?
- Modern agriculture depends upon the rapid flow of data. Access to high-speed broadband is lacking in most parts of rural Manitoba. What is your party’s position on building a reliable, fast broadband network across the province?
- What is your Party’s position on the school tax system of decoupling school funding from farm property taxes?
About the Wheat Growers:
Celebrating its 50th Anniversary in 2020, the Wheat Growers Association is a voluntary farmer-run advocacy organization dedicated to developing public policy solutions that strengthen the profitability and sustainability of farming, and the agricultural industry as a whole.