CALGARY, AB: With the call of the federal election, the Western Canadian Wheat Growers asked each of the registered parties six questions that we thought would be of interest to our members and specifically prairie grain farmers.
On August 20, 2021, the following questions were sent to each party. As of September 14, 2021, we heard back from four parties. Should other parties submit their answers, we will update the survey.
The six policy questions are:
- As the next federal government, what would your top priorities be for farmers and the agriculture industry across the prairies?
- International trade is a key factor for prairie farmers. What is your party’s position on free and competitive markets, including the elimination of export subsidies, the reduction of trade-distorting domestic support and reducing tariffs and non-tariff barriers that inhibit foreign market access?
- Will your party support the reporting of daily / weekly grain and oilseed export sales?
- Moving grain and oilseeds to market is vital for the entire food supply chain. Farmers depend on a modern transportation infrastructure to move seed and fertilizer as well as the export of grain. What is your party’s position on the grain transportation system and the ability to maintain an accountable and efficient system considering possible future overcrowding on the rail system? How will your party support rural infrastructure investment?
- The current regulatory process for the approval of agricultural innovations that make farmers more profitable and sustainable is slow and burdensome. What will your party do to expedite a science-based regulatory approval process for the introduction of new technologies, including the adoption of genetically modified crops?
- The current government has called for a 30% reduction in fertilizer emissions. (https://wheatgrowers.ca/advocacy-resources/fertilizer-reduction-campaign/) Currently there is no plan of how to achieve this, without a 30% reduction in the use of fertilizer. What will your government do with this proposal?
All the responses may be found online here.
About the Wheat Growers:
The Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association is a voluntary farmer-run advocacy organization dedicated to developing public policy solutions that strengthen the profitability and sustainability of farming, and the agricultural industry as a whole. The 50th anniversary book, “Warriors For Wheat” is available to purchase online.
For more information, please visit wheatgrowers.ca.