For Immediate Release
Wheat Growers survey Conservative Party of Canada leadership candidates
Key public policy questions answered for grain growers, agriculture sector
SASKATOON, SK—(April 28, 2017): Today, the Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association released the results of their survey on public policy, grain farming, and the agriculture sector, as submitted to each of the Conservative Party of Canada leadership candidates in March.
“We sent a survey to each leadership candidate, asking them six important questions to grain farmers in western Canada,” said Levi Wood, President of the Wheat Growers and grain farmer at Pense, Saskatchewan. “These are significant issues for all growers and their pocketbooks here on the farm, and the larger agriculture sector as well.”
The six questions submitted by the Wheat Growers to each leadership candidate were:
- What is your position on open markets in the grain sector, where many players compete vigorously for farmers’ business, including in farm inputs and farm products?
- What is your position on free and competitive markets in international trade, including the elimination of export subsidies, reduction of trade-distorting domestic support, and reducing tariffs and non-tariff barriers that inhibit market access?
- What is your position on a commercial and efficient grain transportation system, recognizing the need for government regulation to foster greater service, competition, and accountability in the rail sector?
- What is your position on the development of agricultural innovations that make farmers more profitable and sustainable, with a science-based regulatory approval process for the introduction of new technologies, including the adoption of genetically modified crops?
- What is your position on a carbon pricing system, including on a credit and debit system that acknowledges the significant carbon reductions being achieved by prairie grain growers?
- As Prime Minister, what would your top five priorities be for farmers and the agriculture industry in Canada?
The responses from the leadership candidates are posted at wheatgrowers.ca and can be found here:
“We thank the candidates for their time and effort in answering these key public policy questions for grain farmers and the agriculture sector in western Canada,” said Wood. “With tens of millions of tonnes of crop production and billions of dollars in grain and agri-food exports, western Canada is a major exporter of ag products around the globe.”
In April 2016, the Wheat Growers surveyed the political parties during the provincial elections in both Saskatchewan and Manitoba, and will survey the federal NDP leadership candidates later this year.
About the Wheat Growers
Founded in 1970, the Western Canadian Wheat Growers Association is a voluntary farmer-run advocacy organization dedicated to developing public policy solutions that strengthen the profitability and sustainability of farming, and the agricultural industry as a whole. For more information, please visit: wheatgrowers.ca
For more information, please contact:
Robin Speer, Executive Director
+1 (587) 998-4741 – M